High School Ministry and Confirmation Sacramental Preparation
Confirmation Preparation for 2017
The following tasks still remain for those students who desire to be confirmed this year on August 14, 2017.
- Students who have NOT had their Confirmation interview with Fr Mark, will NOT be confirmed this year. If you have yet to have your interview with Fr Mark, contact Ms. Christina AS SOON AS POSSIBLE if you wish to be confirmed this year.
- Attend the Confirmation Retreat Day on Tuesday, July 18, 2017. This retreat is MANDATORY, so you will NOT be confirmed this year if you do not attend. Contact Ms. Christina BEFORE the retreat day if you need to be excused. 2017 Confirmation Retreat Paperwork (includes permission form)
- Submit your Confirmation Capstone Project (Mission Statement Assessment Sheet and Rule of Life Planner Sheet) Hard copies of this paperwork is also available in an envelope in the vestibule of the church. You can also use this additional form to assist you with preparing your Mission Statement and Rule of Life—Wheel of Life Assessment
- Complete your Confirmation Exit Interview with Ms. Christina (you can submit your Capstone Project at that time).
- Attend the practice for Confirmation Mass will be held on Wednesday, August 9th immediately following the 5pm Mass.
- Attend the parish Confirmation Mass with Bishop Baker on Monday, August 14, 2017 at 6pm. All students and their sponsors will need to be at church downstairs in the p NO LATER THAN 4:45pm.
***THERE WILL BE A NEW PROCESS for Confirmation Sacramental Preparation beginning in Fall 2017 for those who wish to be confirmed in August, 2018 and beyond
Confirmation sacramental preparation will consist of three components: Prayer, Knowledge and Service.
- Prayer and Knowledge components will consist of attending High School Ministry (RE) sessions on Saturday afternoons from 4:30-5:45pm during the months of September through May for AT LEAST ONE YEAR PRIOR TO BEGINNING the Sacramental Preparation Sessions. (If you attended RE in 8th grade, you have completed your one year requirement and will be able to participate in Confirmation preparation sessions during the year. If you were NOT a registered and participating RE student in 8th grade, you will need to attend a year of High School Ministry sessions FIRST, begin your 2nd year in the fall, and THEN apply to participate in Sacramental Preparation sessions.
- The second part of the Prayer and Knowledge components is attending 12 Sacramental preparation sessions WITH YOUR SPONSOR (or parent if your sponsor is not available) that will occur during the months of January through July. Attendance is REQUIRED every other week, but you can choose WHICH session you attend with your sponsor (either on a Sunday afternoon from 2:15-3:30pm or on a Monday evening from 6:30-8:00pm.)
- The Service Component consists of 40 hours of service that can be completed during the Prayer and Knowledge components or during special Service Component activities that will be held during the summer.
Confirmation Team members, both adult and teen, are always needed and welcome. If you wish to be involved with the Confirmation preparation program in any way, or have any concerns or questions, contact Christina Semmens, 256-603-0225, email@example.com.
Butler’s Lives of the Saints is a good source for concise biographies. Online entries can be accessed here: The Lives of the Fathers, Martyrs and Other Principal Saints. (Audio and text files can also be found at LibriVox.)
High School Ministry (YDisciple)
The parish is currently in the process of beginning a high school ministry effort called YDisciple. YDisciple is a process in which small discipleship groups of 6-8 young men or young women are formed that meet weekly along with 2 adult mentors to pray, socialize, learn about, and share their faith.
Currently, adult mentors are needed in order for groups to begin meeting. Once adult mentors complete an Adult Mentor Application and the appropriate diocesan Youth Protection training, they will be provided all materials and training necessary to mentor a small group. If you are willing to serve as an adult mentor for a YDisciple group, please contact Christina Semmens, 256-603-0225, firstname.lastname@example.org.