Ash Wednesday service at Our Lady of the ValleyThe Season of Lent is an important time in our Church Year that, if properly committed to the season, draws us ever closer to Christ. It is a season of repentance, almsgiving, fasting and praying as we prepare our hearts to be full of the resurrected Jesus Christ. It is a time to turn off the noise of life such as the TV, radio and other distractions and talking and listening to God speak in our life. It is sometimes hard to hear God speak to us when we fill our life with too much noise. Take time this Lent Season to turn down the volume and “hear” Him speak to you telling you what it is He wants you to do.
Here are some ways to grow closer to our Lord and enrich your faith within our parish during Lent:
Every Friday during Lent, beginning March 10th:
- Stations of the Cross – 5 p.m. Bilingual
- Knights of Columbus Fish Fry in the Parish Hall from 6:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m.
- Father Mark will be available after Stations for Confessions.
Throughout Lent–El Camino
- Wed 1 Mar Begin reading 7 Secrets of Confession book
- Sun 5 Mar 11:30am-12:30pm El Camino Refuge Parish Hall (English and Spanish)
- Tues 7 Mar—6:30-7:30pm El Camino Refuge Parish Hall (English and Spanish)
- Sun 19 Mar—11:30am-12:30pm El Camino Refuge Parish Hall (English and Spanish)
- Tues 21 Mar—6:30-7:30pm El Camino Refuge Parish Hall (English and Spanish)
- Fri 31 Mar, 6:00pm—Sat 1 Apr, 6:00pm “Adoration Vigil” Sanctuary
- Sun 2 Apr—11:30am-12:30pm El Camino Refuge Parish Hall (English and Spanish)
- Tues 4 Apr—6:30-7:30pm El Camino Refuge Parish Hall (English and Spanish)
- Attend Daily Mass – Click Here for Mass Times
- Visit the Blessed Sacrament and sit in silent prayer. The Church is open most days during normal business office hours.
- Pray the Chaplet of Divine Mercy.
- Pray the Holy Rosary.
- Perform the works of Spiritual and Corporal Mercy by visiting the sick, feeding the hungry, etc.
The following links provide great insight into this most Holy Season.
Some require you to sign up in order to receive the daily messages via email. It will be worth the effort!
Daily Lent Reflections with Bishop Robert Barron
Best Lent Ever with Dynamic Catholic
Our Sunday Visitor with helpful Lent guidance of The Three R’s of Lent: Read, Reflect, Respond
Lectio Divina is a form of meditation and prayer. Downloads are available in both English and en Espanol.
Loyola Press with helpful tips for families and Church such as 40 Ideas for 40 Days, Lenten Activities for Children and much more!